Director, Income Tax - Montreal
Description du poste
Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
This position will report to the Senior Director, Income Taxes.
- Accountable for managing the tax compliance processes (and will be responsible to prepare the most complex parts of the processes), with a goal of minimizing tax risk and exercising adequate control over tax exposures
- Ensure timely, accurate, and efficient tax accounting procedures are in place and effective within the National Instrument 52-109 (previously SOX) environment, in concert with colleagues in financial reporting
- Responsible to assess the implications of all the changes to the accounting, and ensure that all required information from a tax compliance perspective is available
- Be involved in the strategic tax planning processes for the Company on an adhoc basis
- Responsible of a number of income tax audits, solve them, and when not in agreement with the position of the various taxation authorities, will be responsible to prepare notices of objection or appeal
- Be involved in the negotiation of settlements, either at the audit, objection or appeal level
- Responsible to identify the risk items, and then to assess the tax treatment of the most complex transactions, working closely with external tax advisors
Specifically, the Director will focus on the following:
- Prepare the most complex portions of income tax returns for Air Canada and its subsidiaries, ensure compliance with applicable laws, and oversee the overall preparation of the returns by other team members
- Will be responsible to train the Income Tax Manager and the Tax Analyst
- Will be responsible to improve the existing income tax compliance processes and coordinate changes of processes / systems of the various sources of information
- On an ongoing basis, ensure complete and accurate disclosures of all income tax related matters in the Corporation’s financial statements
- Participate in the development and implementation of Corporate strategic initiatives in conjunction with external advisors
- Participate as the tax specialist in senior management discussions. Lead the implementation of the Company’s strategic income tax plans
- Lead the Canada Revenue Agency income tax audits. Will be the responsible to negotiate some settlements either at the audit, objection or appeal level, where required
- Managing external tax audits for quarterly and year-end income tax reporting
- Oversee the preparation of the tax installments
- Oversee the international reporting (such as country by country reporting)
- Proactively identifying tax accounting issues for discussion/resolution with the Financial Reporting Group, as well as assess the impacts of significant accounting changes on the tax provision
- Provide tax guidance for the budgeting process
- Analyze the impact of new legislation for the tax provision and tax returns.
- Proactively assessing tax implications for new business opportunities, future divestitures/acquisitions, major capital expenditures, corporate reorganizations and ensure all are executed in a tax-efficient manner
QualificationsEducation and Professional Credentials
- Relevant undergraduate degree including a professional accounting designation.
- Completion of CICA in-depth tax courses and/or a Masters level degree in Tax
Professional Experience and Personal Attributes
- At least 12 years experience in income tax compliance, income tax planning, and corporate income tax accounting gained in a large, complex and multiple business unit corporate environment, in an income tax leadership role
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of required financial statement tax disclosures. Has developed solid technical skills in corporate income tax
- Excellent analytical skills – applies a creative approach to problem solving
- Exhibits strong organization skills and the ability to meet deadlines; able to take a hands-on approach in meeting deliverables
- Experience managing change in a complex setting – proactive vs. reactive, ability to minimize adverse consequences
- Viewed as a highly credible professional; ethically uncompromising exhibiting the highest level of integrity
- Adopts and applies rigorous professional standards related to tax compliance and tax accounting practices
- Strong leadership, people management, and coaching/mentoring skills (assist staff with acquiring strong technical, analytical, and problem-solving skills)
- Able to work well independently and as a part of a team
- Proven ability to develop proactive partnerships with business lines and functional leads; participate effectively in work teams
- Effective communication, interpersonal and presentation skills – concise, persuasive, diplomatic, effective listener, articulate, and well organized; can communicate effectively in English and French
- Effective negotiating, influencing and mediating skills – ability to negotiate contentious tax-related issues with clients across the organization, as well as with various taxation authorities
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.
Vous êtes intéressé par ce poste?